Habit is an action that we do it repeatedly over and over again and often. Sometimes we don’t realize that we have this habit until someone comes to us and points out our habits. When we spend long times on the particular job, there are chances we pick up some weird habits related to that job. There are no jobs that can be immune to weird habits including architect. In fact, some famous architects in the world became the legend because of their strange habits. Though we are not famous like them, we still have risk to get architects’ weird habits. These are 18 weird habits that can make you say “Oh my God, that is me!”
1. Spending most of your day only to search the right font
Most people expect us to create something perfect in our design. Of course, as an architect, we cannot deny their expectation. So, spending five or six hours is quite reasonable to search the right font for our next presentation.
2. Nothing is done even though you spend hours in the office or studio
The office or studio is like a black hole where times and lights are not exist. We even don’t know what makes nothing done though we had spent hours and feel tired at the end of the day.
3. Make travel itineraries to see buildings
Each time you have plan to go to new cities, you find yourself sitting on the desk making an itinerary what buildings you should see in the city, and calculate the itinerary very carefully so that you won’t miss any building.
4. Always feeling that you should have a coffee break, like right now
Most people don’t know that being an architect is hard, so we deserve a coffee break few times a day.
5. Always feeling up the walls, floors, and columns
A non-architect person would always find you touching gently the walls, floors, and columns.
6. Every five minutes you lose metal ruler
Our metal ruler can magically disappear every five minutes and right when we need it.
7. Every two minutes you lose scale ruler
The same case happened with our scale ruler, but it disappears more often than the metal ruler.
8. Get excited when you see nice handrails
You don’t realize you have architects’ weird habits till you get excited every time you see nice handrails.
9. There is no a pen that is too expensive
A 30 dollar-pen or more is just your regular buying.
10. Thinking that non-architect have less taste than you are
You always have a thinking that the average people have less taste compared to your taste.
11. Always include architectural terms in the conversation
You don’t realize you’re talking in architectural language until your non-architectural friends look at you unsympathetically.
12. Open too many layers in Photoshop
It is because you think one layer is not enough for creating a great design.
13. hanging taste for wardrobe
You don’t realize you have spent too many times in the monochromatic world until you open your wardrobe and find it becomes the monochromatic world too.
14. Give appreciation for a well-designed public toilet
Each time you see a well-designed public toilet, you will give your appreciation to whoever designed it.
15. Spot the thermal bridges in steel buildings
Each time you see steel buildings, you cannot resist the impulse to points out its thermal bridges.
16. Always make the same resolution every year
Every year you always determine to do something different, but in the end your resolution will be failed because of your poor time management.
17. Use famous building as a profile picture background
You have a tendency to include famous building in your profile picture, so that people can see how beautiful the building is and how great you are for having the building as a profile picture background. However, at the end of day you feel disappointed because your non-architect friends don’t get the meaning.
18. Become a starstruck around the buildings
You don’t care what people think about you because you’ve been busy staring the buildings in a loving way.
Do you acknowledge these architects’ weird habits as your habits? If you say yes, you may need a good contractor such as Nikifour, the best contractor in Jababeka, KIIC and Suryacipta areas, to help you channeling your weird habit into a productive work. Thank you.